The Living Church
Archbishop Bernard Hebda wants to hear from you! You know what’s working and what needs work in this parish and this Archdiocese. This is your opportunity to help shape the future of our local Church in our vocation to holiness. In this third year of the Synod, we are having weekly small groups on Thursdays from October 7 to November 11 in the Gathering Space, meeting at 6pm and going until 8pm. These small groups will be guided by a video that guides us in prayer and introduces the Archbishop's points of emphasis before ample time for discussion. During the discussion, each participant will fill out a response sheet culminating with a space for "Your Greatest Idea." These responses will be collected by the Archdiocese to assist the Archbishop in making his long-term Pastoral Plan for the Archdiocese.
Each small group will have discussion facilitated by a parishioner, and another parishioner will make sure that the feedback sheets get collected. We encourage you to attend as many as you can! Let us know at our SignUpGenius if we can expect to see you there.
Three Focus Areas: Small groups will discuss the three focus areas that arose from feedback given in the Prayer and Listening events. Over six weeks, with one session per week, small groups will discuss 12 topics – four under each focus area.
Focus area #1: Forming missionary disciples who know Jesus’ love and respond to his call.
- Session 1--October 7, 6pm-8pm
- Topic A: The Good News of Jesus Christ – the “Kerygma”
- Topic B: Personally encountering Jesus
- Session 2--October 14, 6pm-8pm
- Topic A: Life-long formation
- Topic B: Universal call to holiness
Focus area #2: Forming parishes that are in the service of evangelization.
- Session 3--October 21, 6pm-8pm
- Topic A: Welcoming parishes
- Topic B: Collaboration in parish ministry
- Session 4--October 28, 6pm-8pm
- Topic A: Liturgy and the Sunday experience
- Topic B: Sharing the Gospel in word and deed
Focus area #3: Forming youth and young adults in and for a Church that is always young.
- Session 5--November 4, 6pm-8pm
- Topic A: Parents as primary educators (birth – adult)
- Topic B: Helping the young encounter Jesus (birth – grade 6)
- Session 6--November 11, 6pm-8pm
- Topic A: Youth ministry (grades 6-12)
- Topic B: Young adult ministry (ages 18-35)
For more information, go to https://www.archspm.org/synod/